Applications are now being accepted for the 2012-13 IICAS Undergraduate Student Research Travel Grants.
The Institute for International, Comparative, and Area Studies (IICAS) at UC San Diego is pleased to announce a competition for 2012-13 Undergraduate Student Research Travel Grants to support senior honors thesis research by undergraduates in international, comparative, and area studies. The awards are intended to partially offset travel expenses incurred in the U.S. or abroad. Supported research should be about other societies rather than simply conducted in other societies. Applications from fields outside the social sciences and humanities may be eligible if they deal with global issues, cross-national comparisons, or research on particular societies and also have a substantial human or societal dimension. Strong implications for public policy or human ecology are examples of such a dimension.
Awards will be made for research travel between June 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013. Awards will not exceed $1,000.
All registered UCSD undergraduate students.
Due to safety concerns, IICAS will not fund student travel to areas listed on the U.S. State Department’s Travel Warning site.
Proposal Format (submit in the following order):
- Travel Grant Cover Sheet
- One-page budget estimate
- Description of thesis project or conference to be attended (no more than 750 words), including timetable or itinerary and other soucres of financial support for which application has been made
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- UCSD transcript (an unofficial version is acceptable – this also should be copied along with the rest of the application).
- Letter of endorsement from a UCSD faculty member familiar with the student’s work. Submit letter with application in sealed envelope and signed on the flap.
Criteria for Selection
- An interdisciplinary, inter-divisional and/or comparative subject. (Cross-regional projects are particularly encouraged; multi-country comparative projects also satisfy this criterion.)
- Intellectual originality and breadth
- Clarity / strength of research plan
- Supplementary funding obtained or sought from UCSD and external sources
Submission of Proposals
Submit four (4) copies of the complete, collated proposal package no later than 3:00 PM on March 12, 2012. Late proposals will not be accepted. Please staple each copy of your collated proposal package separately, and do not use paper clips or report covers.
Mailing address for proposals in all categories:
ATTN: Martha S. Salinas
IICAS, UCSD MC 0539
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla , CA 92093-0539
For hand delivery, please see our website for directions.
Notification and Acceptance
Awards will be announced in late April 2012. Initial notifications will be sent by email. Notice of acceptance must be received no later than June 1, 2012. Failure to notify IICAS of intent to accept the award by this date will result in forfeiture of the award.
Disposition of Proposals
All materials submitted for this competition become the property of IICAS. IICAS assumes no responsibility for retaining or returning materials submitted for this competition.
Recipients must agree to acknowledge assistance from IICAS in any thesis, publication, or other product that results from IICAS-supported research. Each award recipient must also submit a brief report on the use of the grant OR provide an abstract of final research product.