Reuben H. Fleet Science Center is currently hiring 8 ILLUSION specialists who have experience in science and arts for a current exhibit.
General Job Description:
****THIS IS A TEMPORARY PART TIME POSITION THAT WILL END ON January 11, 2015****
The ILLUSION specialist supports the Fleet Mission and Visitor Experience Philosophy by facilitating the interaction of museum visitors and school children with the ILLUSION exhibition and the scientific principles behind it. Specialists enhance the educational experience of visiting school children and public by initiating informal conversations with visitors, conducting informal demonstrations and stimulating curiosity and interest in related scientific phenomenon. Responsibilities also include ILLUSION gallery monitoring for both the safety of the visitors and the artwork on display.
The ideal candidate has a particular interest in science and arts or the Fleet Science Center and is able to draw upon their own interest and knowledge of science. Ability to engage visitors is more important than deep content knowledge of the topic. ILLUSION Specialists MUST have the ability and desire to make others happy through exemplary service skills. Training on specific content related to the ILLUSION exhibition will be provided.
ILLUSION EXHIBITION INFORMATION:
Featuring a host of installations that deceive the eyes of the visitor, ILLUSION shows that what we perceive is often radically different from the reality of what our eyes observe. Artworks and interactive demonstrations will offer further insight into the human mind through an exploration of the motivations and mechanisms of sensory deception.
We will be hiring multiple Illusion Specialists – up to eight!
Please note that the above job description is not all inclusive of actual job duties and is meant to give an applicant a basic summary of the job opportunity being offered.
Basic Selection Factors:
To be considered qualified for the job, applicants should meet these basic selection factors:
- Experience and interest in magic and sleight of hand welcome.
- Experience with and a desire to interact with children and our diverse visitor population.
- Experience with large group presentations and/or public speaking.
- Ability to work in crowded noisy atmosphere, standing and/or walking for entire shift.
- Ability to maintain focus during very busy periods and coordinate many functions in a fast-paced environment.
- Basic knowledge of safety procedures a must.
- Ability to communicate effectively in person a must.
- High School level science classes required, college coursework in neuroscience, biology, psychology a plus.
- Must possess the ability to work independently as well as within a team environment.
- Proven organizational skills.
- Must be available for weekend shifts.
- Knowledge of Reuben H. Fleet Science Center and educational programs a plus.
Please note: final applicants may be tested on their Microsoft Office computer skills and may be asked to demonstrate writing, proofreading and mathematical skills.