Walt Disney Imagineering Research and Development
Position: Intern, Applied Science
When: Fall 2017 and Winter, Spring, Summer 2018 (3 and 6-month internships available, start and end dates are flexible)
Location: Glendale, CA
GENERAL ROLE DESCRIPTION:
Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) designs and builds Disney’s theme parks, resorts and cruise ships. Imagineers comprise of many disciplines, including engineers, chemists and biologists, in addition to some of the finest artists in the industry. We push the boundaries of the technology behind the magic, in areas as diverse as special effects, robotics, conservation, botany, architecture, biomimicry, 3D printing, etc.
WDI Research and Development is involved in the early phase of technology development. It is a startup environment in a big company, we fail fast and learn quickly on our way to success.
Biological sciences are an important part of what we do. For example, Disney’s Animal Kingdom combines animals with a theme park setting with conservation as one of its primary goals. Our teams biologists work to study and research the animals and plants in our parks. To protect the beauty of our parks, we also need to mitigate certain forms of biological growth on various surfaces. Our parks are the perfect place for algae and fungi growth, so we work to determine how to prevent this through the use of coatings and treatments.
CORE FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Consultation on biology-related topics
· Work to establish experimental setup for testing biological growth on various surfaces
· Sourcing, testing and qualification of materials, treatments and coatings
· Select appropriate technologies for specific design goals and successful integration into projects
· Coordinate with vendors and/or internal partners on the above
DESIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS:
Some or all of the following:
· Expertise in cell culture, including growth conditions and cell culture methods
· Knowledge of biological growth on various substrates
· General knowledge of how different organisms interact with surfaces
· Experience with laboratory work
· Currently pursuing a B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. degree in Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Biomaterials or other relevant field of study
· Demonstrated ability to rapidly acquire expertise in disparate technical disciplines
· Relevant industry or research experience (internships count)
· Experience with and commitment to serving internal customers
· Sense of humor!
-your undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) GPA.
-the quarter(s) you are interested in. Start and end dates are flexible, internships are available year-round. Non-summer quarters are usually less competitive due to high demand during summer.